Appley Tower was built in 1875 by Sir William Hutt.
The Tower was designed by local architect Thomas Hellyer of Ryde, and constructed by local builder Isaac Barton.
Appley Tower is a coastal folly, which Hutt referred to as The Watch Tower.
This stretch of golden sands is one of the best on the Island.
Ref: Appley Tower Ryde Esplanade. 473